How To Clean Construction Equipment: Efficiently And Effectively
Construction equipment is expensive and a long-term expenditure in a business. It is necessary to maintain the equipment clean and in good condition to enhance performance and service life. Therefore, blast cleaning becomes a necessary procedure in the routine maintenance of construction equipment.
Blast cleaning equipment lasts longer to give value for your money. It removes mud, grime, grease and dirt from your machines faster than other cleaning methods. Although construction is a rapidly growing industry globally, blast cleaning for heavy construction equipment remains underappreciated and unexplored.
Cleaning heavy building equipment is often left for the construction workers and other low-paid casuals. The cleaners often remove loose dirt and grime and leave other parts unattended. The equipment loses its integrity with time, and lowers performance and service life.
The good news is that there are better effective methods and options for cleaning heavy construction equipment. Construction equipment has its specialized cleaning machines and methods to help maintain them clean. Some examples of heavy cleaning machines include water cannons and high-pressure washers. Effective cleaning involves techniques such as blast cleaning and others that effectively use materials and save time.
Heavy construction materials are complicated machines and risk to plant operators and on-site workers. They are also risky during cleaning because they can cause accidents and other hazards. Loaders, forklifts, gravel trucks, and excavators are technical machines that require intricate cleaning to enhance safety during cleaning.
Why wash construction equipment
Construction equipment is a long-term investment, so there’s a need to maintain them at their best. Cleaning is as critical as regular servicing and repairs.
Cleaning reduces non-working delays that lead to losses. Unscheduled downtime can be a downer in a cut-throat construction competition market. It would help to make a profit working with a machine that’s always top-notch.
Many construction companies rent parking yards where the machines are safe, and blast cleaning is guaranteed to help maintain the equipment its best.
Benefits of cleaning construction equipment
A clean machine offers effective service and shortens downtime sessions. On the other hand, dirty equipment equals losses and frequent downtime. An investor in heavy construction equipment appreciates that keeping the machines clean enhances the appearance of the company and the longevity of their investment. Cleaning is routine maintenance and preventive measure for a successful construction venture.
Construction managers are passionate about the appearance of their online and on-site shops. The cleanliness and tidiness of construction equipment is critical in the following ways:
- Blast cleaning is part of a routine preventive routine. A clean machine lessens the strain put on movable and fixed parts. Grime and dirt on movable parts of the equipment act as friction agents making the machines wear out speedily. Therefore, regularly cleaning construction machines enhances service life and performance.
- Clean construction equipment is easier to heat and cool than mud-caked, oily, greasy equipment. Heat is required to facilitate the running of the equipment. However, extreme heating can damage equipment parts and reduce the service life cycle.
- Regular blast cleaning reduces unnecessary downtime. A broken machine can cause losses because of the repair and damage time needed to restore function. It is critical to prevent unnecessary expenses and downtime. Cleaning reduces the weight asserted to the buckets and booms as materials stick on the interior of the equipment.
- Cleaning offers a chance to identify potential problems and mechanical issues. Blast cleaning can expose metal erosion, loose connections, nuts, and bolts. Rust corrodes metals, and oxidation speeds wear out.
- Blast cleaning enhances the safety of the plant operators and other people around. Cleaning dislodges heavy, slippery and volatile particles that can cause accidents such as slips, and falls.
- Clean construction equipment portrays a neat image of the construction company. Your clients make an impression of your services from your outward appearance. Clean and tidy construction equipment communicates that your company is orderly, neat, and sensitive to customer service. The effect of well-maintained and clean construction equipment is reflected on the workers in the company, such as the supervisors, plant operators, and service providers.
Product used in cleaning commercial construction equipment
Cleaning commercial construction equipment can be a daunting task. Cleaning needs professional knowledge to get rid of dirt, grease, and grime using specialized materials and equipment.
Blast cleaning is an intricate process involving step by step procedure to reach all moveable and fixed parts of the equipment. The cleaning entity must have specialized materials and equipment to accomplish the task.
And because cleaning construction equipment is thorough, expensive and complicated materials are used. Few of the cleaning items are affordable and readily available.
Personal protection gear
The cleaners must be protected from harsh materials and other hazards common during cleaning. The cleaners should have:
- Overalls- the cleaners should be in full-length overalls that protect the torso and the limbs. Some overalls are reusable and can be cleaned and used severally; others are disposable. Buy insulated protection gear for hot water cleaning.
- Protective footwear-heavy construction equipment involves stepping on the slippery surface. Therefore, cleaners should have suitable footwear all the time. Commercial rubber boots protect from falls because of the anti-skid sole on the shoes. Ensure the boots offer solid upper protection from hot water cleaning.
- Facial protection- cleaning commercial trucks and loads involves splashing water at high pressure. Water flowing at high pressure can cause splash feedback lashing on the eyes. The cleaning agents and debris from the trucks can cause skin irritation and eye contamination. At a minimum, cleaners should wear eye protection goggles or full-face shields.
Pressure washing equipment
- Pressure washers- have a limited water flow, although the pressure is reliably high.
- Water cannons– water cannons are larger than a pressure washer. It expels large amounts of water which is later collected and recycled.
Both a pressure washer and water cannon can use hot and cold water. They can be used for, cleaning, removal of debris, and rinsing.
Wash pads and racks- it is advisable to use professionally designed pads and rags for effective cleaning of your equipment.
The cleaning of commercial construction equipment can be a daunting task. However, cleaning helps to maintain the machine’s performance, reduce downtime and enhance the company’s image.